Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lily-
This evening we went to the grocery store. It was close to dinner time and you were getting tired but I decided to chance it since you were in a good mood.

As usual, you were content with just looking around. You were fascinated by two young girls that were dancing near the deli. So fascinated that I could not get your attention at.all. Not even for a piece of deli chicken. It was so cute. I could see your little mind working, wondering what they were doing, knowing it made you happy, and I could almost see that thought go through your mind of, "I want to do that".

Walking down the cereal isle, we encountered an older man, most likely in his late 60's. I was contemplating what cereal to choose and he was seemingly doing the same thing just a couple of feet away from us. You had an animal cracker in your mouth and as you chewed it up you turned around swiftly and gave this man the biggest animal-cracker-filled smile. It seemed as though you knew him almost, because you don't often treat strangers to this type of smile.

The man responded in the most genuine way. He smiled so deeply right back at you, chuckled quite a bit, looked at me and said, "You have no idea. That just made my whole day". He then shook his head, looking as though he was almost holding back tears of happiness, looked at you again while you were still smiling and said, "You made my whole day kid".

I loved this moment. I instantly replayed the moment in my head and teared up. You truly bring so much happiness to so many people, even complete strangers.

How beautiful is that?

3 comments: